Short Description: The ILS is responsible for working with all ages and types of people with disabilities in setting and maintaining goals to become independent or maintain one’s independence in the community.
Salary: Based on experience ( $16 – $20 an hour) with 8% Retirement Benefits, Health Insurance, Dental, Health Savings Account, and other Benefits (for those that are employed at 30 hours and above). RTI will work with qualified candidates to cover part or all moving expenses at the time of hiring where appropriate.
Reports to:Program Manager and Executive Director.
Closing Date: The position remains open until filled by a qualified applicant.
Location: Ogden, Utah
The ILS is responsible for working with all age and types of people with disabilities in setting and maintaining goals to become independent or maintain one’s independence in the community. Independent Living Goals vary based on the individuals needs. Examples of goals are (but not limited to): Finding affordable accessible housing, acquiring and using adaptive equipment, transitioning people out of nursing homes, developing life skills (such as cooking, cleaning, money management, etc.), systems advocacy, individual advocacy, transportation, employment, etc.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate consumer’s needs (including independent living skill development and community supports needed for increased independence) and make eligibility recommendations (re: Medicaid, subsidized housing, Medicaid waivers, food stamps, Area Agency on Aging services, etc);
- Advocate for consumers and teach Independent Living skills to consumers accessing community services like housing, personal attendant services, financial resources, transportation, medical care, housekeeping services, etc., by working with discharge planners, collaborating with community service providers and providing follow up services needed to ensure that consumers achieve their goals;
- Provide individual services, peer support and conduct independent living skill classes, groups, and activities as consumer needs dictate;
- Participate in public awareness activities including disability awareness presentations;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Keep accurate counts and records of individual goals set by consumers and goals reached, and all demographics of each consumer.
- GED or High School Diploma some college preferred;
- Computer literate;
- Willingness to advocate, coordinate, and educate;
- Experience working with people with disabilities or other minority groups, personal experience with a disability is preferred;
- Reliable means of transportation to travel throughout a multi-county service area.
- Must have an acceptable Criminal Background Check;
Preferred Experience and Assets:
- Knowledge of community resources, social security programs, transportation, etc;
- Experience with setting independent living goals with people with disabilities, providing individual and group services and maintaining consumer service records;
- The ability to advocate on issues promoting the independence of people with disabilities;
- Ability to build alliances with disability advocates and covered entities;
- Knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act, and other disability related laws (helpful but not required;
- Ability to verbalize and express ideas clearly in written, oral, and computer communications;
- Bilingual abilities strongly recommended;
- Interact with consumers in a professional manner with respect for their rights and maintains strict adherence to the independent living philosophy;
- Personal experience with a disability is preferred.
- Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Benefits / Why Work With Us:
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Relocation Assistance
This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the position. While it is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, RTI reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and to assign other duties, as necessary.
Roads To Independence (RTI) is a non-profit, grassroots, advocacy organization by and for people with disabilities. RTI is an active agency looking to assist individuals with disabilities live as independently in the community as possible. Core services include but are not limited to Advocacy, Information and Referral, Life Skills Training, Peer Support, Recreation, Assistive Technology and Transition (Youth, Nursing Home, and Diversion from Institutions). We primarily cover Davis, Morgan and Weber Counties.
RTI is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and sustaining a work environment that is inclusive. Women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be made for employees with disabilities.